The call for applications for YLVP 2017 is now closed. Selected participants will be informed no later than 20 February 2017.
Who can apply to YLVP?
To apply to the Young Leaders Visitors Programme (YLVP) you have to:
- be an NGO leader, legal worker, journalist, social worker, cultural worker, social entrepreneur, civil servant, youth politician or in another type of leadership role
- work actively for democracy, sustainability, diversity and/or human rights
- be between 22 and 32 years old
- have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- be a citizen of Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine*, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia or Yemen.
*Palestinian ID holders, including Jerusalem ID.
Please note that we are not able to make any exceptions to the eligibility requirements. Only completed applications will be considered.
How to apply?
The call for applications to YLVP 2017 is closed. Selected participants will be informed no later than 20 February 2017. Only applicants who have submitted a complete application will be considered for the programme. A complete application consists of:
- a completed application form in English, including your contact details and the contact details of two reference persons;
- an updated CV in English;
- a letter of recommendation* (no more than 500 words) from a person who knows your work in the areas of democracy or human rights. The letter should motivate your participation in the programme with reference to the YLVP criteria; the letter should preferably be in English but could also be submitted in French or Arabic. We prefer that you use our template for the letter of recommendation, but it’s not compulsory. Templates are available in English, French and Arabic;
- a photo (not compulsory).
If you have any questions regarding the application, please send an email to ylvp(a)si.se
*We will need the contact details of the person writing the letter of recommendation (name, job title, telephone number and email address).We may contact the reference persons of the applicants who are selected for an interview. We only need a letter of recommendation from one of the reference persons.
Due to the large number of applications that we receive, we are unfortunately not able to send personal replies to all applicants.
How do we select our participants?
The Swedish Institute appoints a selection committee consisting of field experts, representatives from partner organisations and staff from SI. Each application is evaluated by two different members of the selection committee according to the following criteria:
- awareness and analytical skills
- drive and motivation
- relevant work experience
- relevant educational background.
SI seeks to compose a diverse and balanced group in terms of gender, age, geography, skills and experiences in order to enable a dynamic learning environment. The applicant’s ability to contribute to the programme is also taken into account alongside the extent to which the programme is expected to strengthen the applicant in his or her work for social change.
Out of all applicants, a number of shortlisted candidates are called for interviews as a second step in the selection process. The interviews are conducted through Google Hangouts or Skype. SI then contacts 30 selected applicants by email and offers them a place in the Young Leaders Visitors Programme. SI also composes a list of reserve candidates in case a second selection round is needed. Unfortunately, because of the large number of applicants to a limited number of seats, we have to turn down many highly qualified people.
Please note that the offer to participate in the programme is valid only under the condition that the participant obtains a visa to travel to Sweden. SI will facilitate the visa application process, but we cannot guarantee a visa. In recent years, candidates living in conflict-ridden areas have in a few cases seen their visa applications rejected.
YLVP is an intensive programme with a full-day schedule and many evening activities and all selected participants have to commit to participating in all activities of both Module 1 and 2.
- Call for application opens: 4 November 2016
- Deadline for application: 5 December 2016
- Skype or Google Hangouts interviews: 23–31 January 2017
- Selected participants of YLVP 2016 will be informed by: 20 February 2017
- YLVP 2017 Module 1 in Sweden: 8–26 May 2017
- YLVP 2017 Module 2 (location to be confirmed): 14–20 October 2017